Monday, October 25, 2010

World Go Vegan Week!!! Celebrate with Vegan Indian Dinner

I hope everyone had an awesome weekend, mine was pretty well filled between a Writing for the Web workshop (I do it because I care <3) and a surprise houseguest on Saturday night 45 mins after arriving home from said workshop. I dazzled my houseguest with soup leftovers and a veggie pasta.

In honor of World Go Vegan Week I'm posting this recipe that will please the tastbuds of vegans and nonvegans alike.

So yesterday I wanted to make a meal that was nice but not gonna actually take too much effort - I mean Sunday is a day of rest and all right? I decided to go half from scratch & half from a package and make Indian food for dinner last night. I'm pretty pleased with the results so here is the scratch recipe and I'll post the other below.

Indian Style Spinach & Potatoes

3 medium white/yellow potatoes, cubed
3 cups chopped spinach or a 5oz container of baby spinach
1 onion diced
1 tsp ginger
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp lemon juice
1 chili pepper, minced/ 1 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp margarine
3/4 cup water
salt to taste


Rinse your spinach well in cold water (especially if its not organic!) - remove thick stems if using regular spinach and roughly chop. Set aside.

Heat margarine over low-medium heat in a medium sized pan and add mustard seeds. When they begin to pop, add garlic, ginger and minced chilies and fry for another 30-45 seconds. Add turmeric, fry briefly then add onion.

After sauteeing the onion for a minute drop in the cubed potatoes and stir-fry for another 8 to 10 minutes, stirring everything occasionally letting them brown and turn a nice golden colour.

Add spinach and 3/4 cup of water to the pan and cover. Turn heat to lower setting and cook for another 15 minutes or so until the potatoes have softened up.

When they're done salt to your liking and give a squeeze of lemon or add a teaspoon of lemon juice and stir.

I served this up with the biryani rice from the next post. It was really yummy but if you are cooking for more than two or three people you might want to double the recipe.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment