Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fall: The Saga Continues....

So we have had a lot of Canadian weather that couldn't make up its mind of late but finally we are settling into chilly nights which means more soup!!! After a trip to the farmer's market on Saturday I have a bevvy of sweet potato beauties just begging to jump in a pot.

As the proud owner of a replacement Blackberry I am back in the business of posting recipes for you my loyal readers ;) I've tinkered around with it a bit and while its no Canon DSLR (a girl can dream) I think it'll do the trick for now. Or hey you can take me on my word - the recipe I am about to bestow upon you is sure to impress your nearest and dearest.... or maybe those you'd like to be nearer and dearer to this winter!

Another word on these sweet, sweet, sweet potatoes, the particular farmer at my farmer's market offers a variety of sweet potatoes so this time around I had the pleasure of using two different kinds. I've made this before with both varieties, only one or regular sweet potato and whatever squash might be handy, so don't have a breakdown if you can't get ahold of them (I'd feel terrible about it)



Without further ado.......

My Cozy Fall Chickpea Stew

1 medium sized white/yellow potato, cubed
1 carrot, diced
1 medium sweet potato, cubed
1 medium white sweet potato, cubed
1 14oz can chickpeas
2 bay leafs
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 Harvest Sun herbal bouillon cube (optional but really adds if you can find it)
salt & pepper to taste

I like the veggies in this to soften it makes the soup really reach so I steam the cubed veggies (all about 1-inch diameter) for 20 minutes before I start assembling the soup.

Keep the water they were steamed in and add another 4-5 cups of water and a herbal broth cube (or 1 cup veg. broth & 4 cups water) to a medium sized pot. Add veggies and turn heat up to medium.

Once the water comes to a boil add ground spices and chickpeas - the vegetables should be softening up so they might break apart a bit as you stir, definite bonus as it makes the soup seem so much richer!

After you've stirred in the chickpeas add the 2 bay leaves and allow the soup to simmer for another 20-25 minutes.

Check to make sure the chickpeas are cooked, if not give a little more time - remember to use canned chickpeas, you are gonna have some very untempting soup if you cooked dried chickpeas for 25 minutes!

Enjoy


If you have the fortune of finding them, the bouillon cubes I use look like so:


Happy Cooking :)

No comments:

Post a Comment